Mental Health is so important no matter your age or sex. It affects young children who are being bullied, Mothers who have suffered trauma, grandfathers who have financial burdens, there is no specific demographic. Having set up practice in a fairly conservative community, mental health is often a point which is neglected. There is a stigma that you need to pray more to ease anxiety and depression, which is not always the case.
Homeopathic consultations focus on a holistic form of treatment and often mental issues are discussed and broken down to identify thought processes and anxieties. There are numerous options when it comes to the treatment of Mental Illnesses and these include:
- Conventional Treatment: These include psychotropic drugs like anti-depressants, anti-anxiety medication
- Complementary therapies: As a homeopath it is my job to discuss these options with you
Complementary Therapies used for Mental Illnesses:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy:
- This enlists the help from a psychologist and involves talking as a therapy to identify thoughts and feelings which trigger negative processes. CBT provides you with coping skills for illnesses like anxiety and depression but can also assist with other disorders
- Homeopathy recognises that not every person’s anxiety is triggered by the same things nor experienced in the same manner. Your homeopath will conduct an in-depth case history focusing of specific feelings. This is used to identify areas of concern, the necessity of CBT, and later in case analysis, to identify your individualised homeopathic remedy.
- Herbal Treatment
- Adaptogens are herbs which support the adrenal glands (responsible for stress responses). Withania, also known as Ashwaganda, is a good example of an adaptogen and is used to support the adrenal glands and reduce the impact of burnout.
- Valariana and Passiflora: Are anti-anxiety herbs which induce peace and relaxation.
- Magnesium: Is your nervous system nutrient. It may be deficient in disorders like ADHD, Anxiety and Autism
- Vitamin D: Deficiencies of Vitamin D present with irritability, depression and disrupted sleep
- L-Theanine: This is an amino acid which assists with increasing GABA levels in the brain. GABA is responsible for regulating emotions. This in turn reduces anxiety and improves mood
- This is the injection of homeopathic preparations into the system.
- Tonico-injeel is used for anxiety, burnout, insomnia and many other mood disorders.
Author: Dr Faseeha Esmailjee